force_check_config - how to use?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jan 19 19:57:24 CET 2011

William Bulley wrote:
> About twenty months ago, a commit to src/main/modules.c occurred with
> the following comment:
>
>    Allow administrators to force_check_config
>
> There is a check inside find_module_instance() in that file for a
> value pair of that name with a value of "yes":
>
>    cp = cf_pair_find(cs, "force_check_config");
>    if (cp) value = cf_pair_value(cp);
>    if (value && (strcmp(value, "yes") == 0)) goto print_inst;
>    cf_log_module(cs, "Skipping instantiation of %s", instname);
>
> The use of force_check_config doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.

  There's a lot of that, unfortunately.

> The only hits on Google are from the above commit.  I have seached
> back three years on this list for the string force_check_config to
> no avail.  I assume I need to have a force_check_config value pair
> with a value of "yes" somewhere in the request, but I don't know
> how to make that happen.  Any pointers would be appreciated.  Thanks.

  Uh... let me see if I can figure out what it's supposed to do. :(

  I *think* it's something you can add to a module configuration to
force it to instantiate itself.  Normally, when "radiusd -C" is used,
the SQL module is skipped, because checking the config doesn't mean
opening 50 sockets to the SQL server.  Adding "force_check_config=yes"
will make modules like SQL instantiate themselves, including opening 50
sockets to the SQL server.