rlm_realm module, Realm attr value

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Tue Jan 25 12:06:40 CET 2011

Hello,

> Thanks for your comments.  Beeing able to differentiate a path
> the request is about to take is a real need.  I've had an impression
> %{control:Proxy-To-Realm} can be referenced to get this particular
> information.  Please, correct me in case I need to pick up on the
> intended attribute content and its use.

Seems like the term "Realm" is used in an overloaded manner: on the one
hand, it's the user-supplied character string, on the other hand it's a
named instance of the realm module.

Looks like up until 2.1.8, the AVP Realm was always created with
Realm-the-character-string as it came from the request, but with 2.1.9,
this changed to Realm-the-instance-name.

Problem is, both of these can be valuable somehow, and need to be
addressable. In a rlm_linelog, I care about logging the actual input; at
other places, I may want to check which path the packet will take.

In short, I think there should be two attributes: one to contain the
instance name, one with the string. Using unlang is of course possible,
but clumsy - it worked without before.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--