Increasing the timeout of LDAP

JAVIER MAGAZ FERNANDEZ javier.magaz.fernandez at ine.es
Tue Jan 25 12:42:00 CET 2011

Hello,
We're working with FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.8, for host sparc-sun-solaris2.10, with PAP authentication  against LDAP.
It works fine but... from time to time it appears the error in 'radius.log':

 Error:   [ldap] ldap_search() failed: Timed out while waiting for server to respond. Please increase the timeout.

We've tried to increase the value of 'timeout' in modules/ldap, to 10 or 20 (as it appears to be the default). But looking at the debugger's ouput (radiusd -X) it allways says that timeout = 4, and the errors continue appearing.
¿How can we increase the timeout?

Best regards.