Parse error after Freeradius Migration (Ascend binary attribute)

tobias.gruenewald tobias.gruenewald at rga.net
Tue Jan 25 16:25:04 CET 2011

Hello,

I am working on migrating from freeradius 1.1.0 (manually compiled) to 2.1.8
(from Ubuntu repository). Right now I am stuck with the parsing of the
configuration files. The files are working flawless on the old server but
lead to a parsing error on startup on the new.

I tried delving into the source code but didn't have the time to really
understand all called functions. I'm not sure where the error is, because
the formatting of the filter looks quite right to me.
I'm pasting the error and the relevant portion of the configuration file, in
hope someone sees where my problem is.

# cat /var/log/freeradius/radius.log
Error: users.smart[11]: Parse error (reply) for entry user: failed to parse
Ascend binary attribute: failed to parse Ascend binary attribute:

# cat users.smart
user   User-Password := "password"
        Service-Type = Framed-User,
        Framed-Protocol = PPP,
        Ascend-Assign-IP-Pool = 1,
        Framed-Netmask = "255.255.255.255",
        Ascend-Metric = 1,
        Framed-Routing = None,
        Ascend-Idle-Limit = 3600,
        Ascend-Route-IP = Route-IP-Yes,
        Ascend-Data-Filter = "ip in drop udp dstport = 9",
        Ascend-Data-Filter = "generic in forward 0 0 0"

Regards, Tobias