Help debugging unstable server

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sun Jul 3 18:32:04 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Carlos Eduardo Tavares Terra
<eduardo.terra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Today I have 2 freeradius servers running... Both of them in a CentOS 5.6.
> The first is stable, without problems running freeradius 1.1.3.
> The second is running freeradius 2.1.7 and in the last 3 months became very
> unstable.
> After some time running the threads just shutdown...
> Reading the /var/log/radius/radius.log, the only message in the moment of
> the problem is:
> Sun Jul  3 06:53:41 2011 : Info: Exiting normally.
> When I check the running processes, the radiusd is running... the 'service
> radiusd status' command displays the pid of the runnind daemon... but
> radiusd is not listening the network ports anymore.
> I tried to keep the radius in debug mode (radiusd -XXXX) for a week, but in
> this case the problem didn't happen.
> Is there some way to force the radiusd print why it is exiting 'normally' ??
> Thanks

If you look at 2.1.x changelog (from
http://freeradius.org/press/index.html for example), there were lots
of fixes after 2.1.7 was released, including stability fixes. Without
any additional data, my best advice right now is try rebuilding
Centos's freeradius2 SRPM, but update the source to 2.1.10.

Try 2.1.10 first instead of 2.1.11, as 2.1.11 requires some additional
fix (available in git).

--
Fajar