General wiki rules

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Fri Jul 15 10:30:09 CEST 2011

Arran Cudbard-Bell <a.cudbardb at freeradius.org> wrote:

> There is no better alternative. You need to indent code blocks for
> them to be easily legible, as it breaks them out of the normal flow of
> the document.

I think that's Phil's point.  The code he is cutting and pasting in is
no doubt already indented.  However, what it probably has is either:
 * no initial indentation (start <tab> or <space>)

I love dokuwiki for documentation, but it is a right ballache to find
that when you cut and paste in your configuration snippet I *then* have
usable.

Sure it seems not a biggy, but it is a right turnoff and makes us all
less inclinded to put in the effort.

> If it's going to be a huge issue I could probably add something to
> gollum which converts <pre> tags into the appropriate white space
> scheme before committing the text to the repository. Would you still
> have an issue with this?

That would be pretty schweet.  I would not 'pre-process' the text, I
would make sure those <pre>/{{{/whatever remains intact so you do not
suffer indentation pain when editing existing content.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: I'm having a MID-WEEK CRISIS!