"radiusd -X" read my sql database but not "freeradius -X"

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Jul 18 15:26:37 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 7:57 PM, schnoocats <schnoocats at laposte.net> wrote:
> Thanks Fajar for your proposal (PPA)

PPA is not proposal. It's "personal package archives". See
http://blog.launchpad.net/ppa/personal-package-archives-for-everyone

> I've just 2 beginner's questions:
> What does it mean "dfsg" ?

The best explanation that I can find actually comes from a blog which
is no longer available (at least I can't reach it now). Google's
cache: http://goo.gl/QUYVg

In the case of freeradius, AFAIK this is to note that Debian's
official package removes some files from the upstream source (namely,
the debian/ directory) and replace it with their own. From
debian/changelog, the dfsg string was added starting 2.0.4+dfsg-1.

#===========================================================
freeradius (2.0.4+dfsg-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Ok, actually remove all the cruft in debian/ shipped by upstream.  This
    means repacking the tarball and all that, but it also means dpkg-source
    won't get the chance to ignore removed files, resulting in files
    reappearing, but not locally (closes: #481406)
  * Also remove config.{cache,log} in clean target - damn you gitignore

 -- Stephen Gran <sgran at debian.org>  Mon, 19 May 2008 03:55:55 +0100
#===========================================================

My ppa is based on Ubuntu's source (which in turn is based on Debian's
source), so I keep the dfsg string intact.

> What does it mean "git" ?

Git is the version control software used to manage freeradius source.
The public git repository for freeradius is available at
https://github.com/alandekok/freeradius-server

When you see "git" as part of package version, that means the package
contains some addition that are present in a particular git commit,
but not in the official "released" version. In my case, 2.1.11 has
some bugs (e.g. detail file, HUP) which was fixed in git, but not yet
released as another version, so I use the commit which already has the
fix.

So in short:
- if you want "official" freeradius release, download the source from
freeradius.org (and optionally build a Debian/Ubuntu package from
that)
- if you want ubuntu-supported freeradius package, use the one in the
official repository (latest is 2.1.10)
- if you want to use what I currently use for testing purposes, use my ppa

--
Fajar