Send response to client

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Mon Jun 27 08:00:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 27.06.2011 07:55, schrieb Christ Schlacta:
> is it at all possible to send a message to a windows 7 or windows
> vista client that the client is guaranteed to see when authentication
> is rejected?
> more details:
> wireless WPA2-EAP-TLS

There is no such guarantee. RADIUS ends at the access-point; from then
on, everything must be fitted into an EAPoL exchange. I'm not aware of
any supplicant that processes EAP-Notifications at the time of
rejection, and also not aware that an Access Point would encapsulate a
Reply-Message into such a notification. Even if there was "a" supplicant
and AP to do that, you couldn't be sure that the end device is actually
using that supplicant.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

> on a Ubiquiti PicoStation 2 firmware 5.3.2 (I believe it includes some
> form of hostapd, but I'm not sure which version)
> Freeradius Version 2.1.9
> Clients running Windows 7 or Windows Vista with no special software
> installed.  the procedure is OS, Wired Driver, ethernet cable, Windows
> Update once for drivers, Wireless certificate, connect to Wifi, (Note
> this point) finish updates.
>
> It's at the Note this point point that I want the clients to be able
> to recieve a rejection response with some level of certainty.  what
> users add to their system later is welcome to break it, if they're
> willing to deal with it.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473