Load Balancing FreeRADIUS with CLUSTERIP

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Mar 3 16:23:30 CET 2011

Randy Wilson <randyedwilson at gmail.com> wrote:

>> We anycast our FreeRADIUS servers and have had great success with this.
>>
>> http://www.digriz.org.uk/ha-ospf-anycast
>
> Very interesting. Many thanks for that. May look into deploying this,
> especially for DNS.

The most surprising helpful and unexpected tool I got out of the
deployment was the ease of being able to remove the service (unbound,
freeradius, whatever) from active use by just sending SIGTSTP to the
shell script daemon, and re-enabling it with SIGCONT...all on the server
it's-self without having to interact with other
servers/routers/switches.

It makes fixes problematic services during working hours, rather than
during official maintenance windows, possible and trivial.  Another
advantage though is that load-balancers are complicated and they have
non-trivial failure states.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: You are as I am with You.