Caching techniques with ntlm_auth usage? (EAP-PEAP-MSchapV2)

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Sat Mar 5 01:21:58 CET 2011

I kinda like your caching idea, but not sure of any security implications.

I have (2) FR servers (each pointing to different DC) and my NAS's are configured to use both.  But, iirc if AD is down on the backend FR still replies (with something) so the NAS never rolls over to the other FR server.

So, I thought about some script that would use ntlm_auth every...n seconds, if it fails kill FR process (or use FR policy to act dead). When it starts working again, restart FR.  This should make the NAS roll to the next FR server.

What about OpenLDAP on the FR server that's "refreshed" / sync'd to the winblows/AD?  I've never tried this but assume it's doable.