FR 2.1.7 Exits for no reason

McNutt, Justin M. McNuttJ at missouri.edu
Tue Mar 8 23:59:12 CET 2011

Hey all,

So the host-based auth stuff is working well now, but we've discovered another problem.

We have four FR 2.1.7 servers running on RHEL 5 (fully patched).  Every now and then, for no apparent reason, radiusd just stops.  It exits with "Exiting normally." to syslog.  They don't all exit at the same time.  Since there are four of them behind a load balancer, it usually doesn't result in a service outage, and we've been lucky so far that only a couple of them have been down at once.  But it's still disconcerting.

The servers tend to all be started within a minute of each other, since I make changes to Server #1, and then use an rsync script to replicate /etc/raddb to the other servers and restart them.  So they all start within seconds of one another.  This week, Server #3 stopped within about 8 hours of being started (went from 1130 to 1930).  Server #1 failed last week at 2330.  Server #4 hasn't failed yet.  It's very odd.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Justin McNutt
Network Systems Analyst - Ninja
DNPS, Mizzou Telecom
(573) 882-5183

"Do you have a concussion?"

Ping is NOT a service.  You don't need it.  Use a real test.