Sending accounting packets to more than one server?

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sat Mar 12 12:06:51 CET 2011

Tim McNabb wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to forward accounting packets to another
> server while also keeping the packets on the local machine. I’m working on
> integrating a Netsweeper appliance and the company is saying that I need to
> forward accounting packets to the appliance in order for it to set policies
> correctly. Has anyone ever done this or would be willing to forward some
> good documentation on how this can be done?

I have a local module here which blindly sends out an extra copy of an
accounting packet to target host(s) you specify, without waiting for any
acknowledgement.  We use it for teeing off accounting to various packet
shapers.

Because the module doesn't maintain any state, i.e.  wait for
acknowledgement or resend if no ack received, it's very lightweight and
there are no queues or buffers to overflow.

I can probably get permission to release the code if you're interested.

Regards,

Brian.