Sending accounting packets to more than one server?

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Mar 14 15:11:09 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:25:23AM +0100, Alan DeKok wrote:
> >  We use it for teeing off accounting to various packet
> > shapers.
>
>   Which do... what?

Some sort of class-of-service stuff, I believe, which requires knowing which
username is on which (dynamic) IP.  There is periodic interim accounting, so
if the occasional stop or start packet is lost, eventually it will correct
itself.

Quite possibly using type=detail would be better. But if I were sending to,
say, three remote servers, would I need to write to three separate detail
files?  A comment in the 'robust-proxy-accounting' example says:

        #  Note that you can have only ONE "listen" section reading
        #  detail files from a particular directory. ...

        #  ...  Having two "listen" sections reading detail files
        #  from the same directory WILL cause problems.  The packets
        #  may be read by one, the other, or both "listen" sections.

I'm having difficulty locating any documentation for "type = detail", and in
particular, whether it deletes files after using them.  Digging around I
found src/main/detail.c and as far as I can see it first renames the detail
file, then deletes it when complete.

Regards,

Brian.