peap termination issue when using fault tolerance

Gil Mazor gil.mazor at safenet-inc.com
Sun Mar 27 12:54:34 CEST 2011

I setup FreeRadius as proxy as I want to extract MSCHAPv2 auth from
EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2 ,and proxy only MSCHAPv2 request to another two radius
servers for fault tolerance.

I can successfully do it with each one of the IAS servers below
individually, however if one of the serves goes down and request is forward
to the second servers on the list I get an error :

Error receiving packet: Connection reset by peer

Any suggestions how to enable Fault tolerance when using two realms ??

clients.conf

client 172.100.100.24/30 { secret = secretpass
                            shortname = NETMOTION }

proxy.conf

 realm mydomain.com {
                authhost              = 192.168.1.10:1812
                accthost               = 192.168.1.10:1813
                secret                   = 1111
                nostrip
}

 realm mydomain.com {
                authhost              = 192.168.1.117:1812
                accthost               = 192.168.1.117:1813
                secret                   = 1111
                nostrip

users.conf

DEFAULT FreeRADIUS-Proxied-To == 127.0.0.1, Proxy-To-Realm := mydomain.com

Eap.conf

                  default_eap_type = mschapv2
                  proxy_tunneled_request_as_eap = no
                  use_tunneled_reply = no