Renaming during Machine Authentication

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon May 16 11:01:35 CEST 2011

On 05/16/2011 01:03 AM, Mark Jones wrote:
> Hi Phil thanks for answering. I am trying to authenticate the
> machines on bootup. I have an edir backend and am following this cool
> solutions article which is fairly old:
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17044.html  In it they
> talk about atrrib-rewrite but use it in the radiusd.conf file which
> in my limited knowledge of freeradius I think is an older way of
> doing it.

Yeah, don't do it that way. Aside from the config in the article being
subtly wrong (regexp in the 2nd rewrite module isn't right), there are
easier ways to accomplish mutating the username if you need to do that,
which you don't because you can just use %{mschap:User-Name} and it'll
do it for you (as well as being more obvious IMHO)

> Right now if i join a machine to the samba domain I have created, it
> automatically is imported into edirectory and named "machinename$".
> The article is not complete so I am really not sure if the machine is

I'm not familiar with eDir so can't say.

Is it working for you now? If not, post a debug and someone can probably
suggest what needs changing.