Authentication issues with Win7 and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Wed May 18 17:50:01 CEST 2011

I can't comment on your problem right now, but be aware there seem to be MANY issues with Windows 7.  Our config works PERFECT with XP, Apple IOS, and other "basic" stuff.  When we started testing Windows 7 (WPA2 Enterprise) we ran into all kinds of weirdness.  And just when we think we have a working config and have a few users start testing it breaks.

The web is littered with people having problems with Windows 7.  I'm convinced the W7 Supplicant is really broken.  In our environment FR doesn't even see the PEAP, just an MSCHAP, and that even fails!

Anyway...  Maybe if someone knows of a tool to dehash/decrypt the MSCHAP stuff I could actually see what's different in the requests between a working auth and a rejected auth.  Right now we're grasping at straws and can't figure out why MS is essentially doing nothing about this...