Relation between NAS and FreeRADIUS

Mike Mackenna mpmackenna at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:52:16 CEST 2011

I would think usually the answer is neither.  The internet connection
is usually supplied by a third box on the network.  The NAS is the
point of contact and the RADIUS server is the box that handles the
authentication requests.  If authentication succeeds the client is
allowed to connect through the NAS on to the network.  Once on the
network it is free to make DHCP requests or whatever and then get
routed accordingly.  Only then does it get default gateway information
that it can use to connect to the internet so to speak.

I think that is correct.

Mike