IPv6 Accounting

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 27 16:46:00 CEST 2011

Shannon Ward wrote:
> Can someone point me to docs or help me get my head around what changes
> need to be done for IPv6 Accounting?

  What does that mean?

> Looks like I may need to add some fields to radacct and update the
> INSERT and UPDATE statements with IPv6 variables.

  No.  Read the "dialup.conf" file.  The only references to "IP" is in
"NAS-IP-Address".

  The standard RADIUS attributes count *packets* and *bytes*.  They
don't distinguish between IPv4 or IPv6.  They count both.

  There is no way in RADIUS to count only IPv6 traffic.

> Is it necessary to run freeradius dual stack for IPv6 AAA?

  If you want to receive IPv6 traffic, yes.

  If you want to receive IPv4 RADIUS traffic containing IPv6 attributes, no.