Error: User-Name is not the same as MS-CHAP name

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon May 30 15:55:03 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 07:54:01AM -0400, Francois Gaudreault wrote:

>>There's no guarantee that STAFF\john and STUDENT\john at the same
>>person; you can't just ignore the fact that the client has changed
>>their username.
>>
>True.  But I don't think it is possible to send a different Username in
>EAP-Identity and MSChap Username in the same EAP session since the
>second is derived from the first.  I have seen such setup where you have
>two domain, RADIUS would use the Realm to differentiates the two.

For a legit client, yes. A malicious client can send anything it wants.

>Is there a way we could work around this hard-coded check since in our
>case, we only have "one john"?

Sure; the check is just one line; grep the source code for it and
comment it out.

What I really want to understand is, whether the check is too strict and
FreeRADIUS should be fixed, or whether Windows XP is just buggy. I will
try to check this tomorrow.

e.g. maybe the check should be:

if eap.username == mschap.username:
  ok
elif not mschap.domain:
  if eap.stripped-user-name == mschap.username:
    ok
  reject
else:
  reject

I will try to investigate this tomorrow when I get back to the office.