How to calculate the handover time?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Thu Nov 10 05:18:51 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:37 AM, snan4love <snan4love at hotmail.com> wrote:
> First of all,i have to say sorry,i know this topic maybe not related to
> FR.But I guess here is the best place to find out the answer.

No, it's not

> Enviroment: Fedora 14 + 2 AP(set to WPA_PSK).
> On the Fedora 14,i use wpa_cli to switch from one wireless network to
> another,during the handover,there will 10 PING packets be lost.right now ,i
> hope i could find a way to calculate the accurate handover time?
> Is there any way to do this?

No idea

> any suggestion will be really appreciate.
>
> BTW, is FR be helpful in roaming between wireless network? Or,all the
> roaming work should be done in the terminal ?(lile laptop)

AFAIK the only way that FR might be related is that if it sends
Session-Timeout, and the NAS honors it. And even then it'd not be
directly related to roaming. It'd only tell the NAS to cut off the
session after a period of time. At that time the wireless client will
(usually) scan for AP with best signal and authenticate, possibly
causing roaming if it changes BSSID.

Somewhat off-topic note, I found out that when multiple APs with same
SSID available, my Ubuntu laptop will often do disconnect-scan-connect
routine, losing connection in the process, even when it ended up
connecting to the same AP in the end. I ended up creating a
configuration (using network-manager) that will forcefully connect to
a particular BSSID only, effectively disable roaming.

--
Fajar