FreeRADIUS EAP-TLS Lookup Client Cert From LDAP DIT

Jeff Doyle j at telepaths.org
Mon Nov 21 16:24:26 CET 2011

On Oct 15, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:

> subcon wrote:
>> Imagine I want to store x509 certificate data (specifically a client
>> certificate) in an attribute in LDAP (perhaps as a binary attribute, etc).
>
>  That's outside of the scope of FreeRADIUS.

Obviously.  I had not actually said the word FreeRADIUS nor RADIUS at that time yet.

>> I would like FreeRADIUS, should it be passed a client certificate INSTEAD of
>> a user/pass, to take the DN of the cert and match it to some attribute which
>> contains said DN and cert-data.
>
>  That's possible.  See raddb/sites-available/default in recent
> releases.  Look for the "TLS-*" comments in the post-auth section.
>
>> The ultimate goal of all of this is to allow the continued use of LDAP and
>> store the certificates (to be compared against) in the tree and not on some
>> filesystem basis.
>
>  That's thinking about it wrong.  You don't "compare" certificates.
> You verify certificates against a CA.  You check certificates against a
> revocation list.

Lets assume I do.  I never said this was going to be by the book.

>> Note that I want FreeRADIUS to continue supporting PAP user/pass auth, but
>> only as a secondary fall-back (e.g: customer doesn't have client cert
>> installed on machine, but has a user and password).
>
>  For what kind of system?  Wireless, or wired?

This is for authentication for systems that already use Radius for these things (currently works via PAP -> LDAP).  These are Linux servers people log into via one or more protocols, and do not involve wireless APs or anything like that.

>> Is this possible? Does this make sense to you? Let me know if I need to
>> re-explain anything.
>
>  You need to correct your thinking and your vocabulary.  Certificates
> don't work the way you seem to think.

Certificates will work the way I tell them to.  I have done things similar (without involving Radius) for some unusual systems I work on.  I this case, perhaps I should have referred to them as pseudo-certificates, wherein its just a REALLY long password that is presented from the client-end via file instead of being entered like a "normal" password.

I really liked Phil Mayers reply, gave me a few good ideas on where to start.

Thanks  to you both