Why Authorization before Authentication?

Iliya Peregoudov iperegudov at cboss.ru
Thu Nov 24 09:25:46 CET 2011

In general there are three steps in processing of Access-Request:

- identify
- authenticate
- authorize

First you need to identify subscriber. In general you should consult
subscriber database (backend). To minimize number of round-trips with
subscriber database it will be better to return whole subscriber profile
to AAA server. AAA server then can consider to proceed with
authentication, grant access without authentication, deny access without
authentication, or just pass the matter to proxy. This is what authorize
section exactly does. Subscriber profile retrieved on this step is
stored ad-hoc, usually in control and reply lists of the request.

To authenticate subscriber you need to check credentials it provides.
This is what authenticate section does. Most of authentication modules
use Cleartext-Password attribute from control list to check credentials
against.

To authorize subscriber you should make a decision based on both
subscriber profile and authentication result. This is what post-auth
section does. Put your authorization policies in this section.