Error: Failed to send packet; No response from Server

suggestme samanaupadhyay at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 28 21:47:36 CET 2011

Hi,

I was successful to install Freeradius 2.1.10 and basic PAP authentication,
Authentication against Active Directory was successful when I installed
Freeradius for first time. But I had to deinstall and reinstall Freeradius
2.1.10 again due to some missing libraries. I am following the same
deployingradius.com site for basic testing. I can start the server in
debugging mode successfully using radiusd -X, which shows "Ready to process
requests". But while doing basic radtest for PAP authentication it gives
error:
radclient: Failed to send packet for ID 85: (unknown error)
radclient: no response from server for ID 85 socket 3

The last part of debug mode output when I run radiusd -X is:

radiusd: #### Opening IP addresses and Ports ####
listen {
        type = "auth"
        ipaddr = *
        port = 0
}
listen {
        type = "acct"
        ipaddr = *
        port = 0
}
listen {
        type = "auth"
        ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
        port = 18120
}
Listening on authentication address * port 1812
Listening on accounting address * port 1813
Listening on authentication address 127.0.0.1 port 18120 as server
inner-tunnel
Listening on proxy address * port 1814
Ready to process requests.

The error I got using radtest is as follows:

#radtest bob hello localhost 0 testing123
Sending Access-Request of id 85 to 127.0.0.1 port 1812
        User-Name = "bob"
        User-Password = "hello"
        NAS-IP-Address =  *This is ommitted for privacy, It shows my radius
server IP address*
       NAS-Port = 0
radclient: Failed to send packet for ID 85: (unknown error)
Sending Access-Request of id 85 to 127.0.0.1 port 1812
        User-Name = "bob"
        User-Password = "hello"
        NAS-IP-Address = *This is ommitted for privacy, It shows my radius
server IP address*
       NAS-Port = 0
radclient: Failed to send packet for ID 85: (unknown error)
Sending Access-Request of id 85 to 127.0.0.1 port 1812
        User-Name = "bob"
        User-Password = "hello"
        NAS-IP-Address = *This is ommitted for privacy, It shows my radius
server IP address*

NAS-Port = 0
radclient: Failed to send packet for ID 85: (unknown error)
radclient: no response from server for ID 85 socket 3

I was successful to do basic PAP authentication, and also authentication
against active directory before. But this time I am getting this error. Can
anyone please tell me what might be wrong.

Thanks,