password in EAP request

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Oct 6 16:37:41 CEST 2011

On 06/10/11 14:19, Alex rsm wrote:
> I agreed, the EAP message sent from Access Point does not send the
> password. The client sends the encrypted password.
> I think I should ask, how FreeRadius can retrieve the password in 802.1x
> authentication mechanism.

FreeRADIUS can read the password from SQL, LDAP, csv files, or
"users"-style files. It can read the plaintext password, or several
formats of encrypted password (which must be compatible with the EAP method)

See:

http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

For one specific EAP mechanism (EAP-MSCHAPv2 - possibly inside PEAP)
FreeRADIUS can also delegate the password check to a windows AD controller.

Is this what you are asking?