Dynamic Attributes Based on NAS Type !

Suman Dash sumandash at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 19:08:01 CEST 2011

To be specific , I am concerned about the QoS VSA's .

For Example.

Mikrotik NAS - Mikrotik-Rate-Limit
Chillispot - Chillispot-Max-UP , Chillispot-Max-Down
Cisco - Cisco-Policy-UP , Cisco-Policy-Down

Now if the user logged from different NAS's the VSA will differ so it is not
possible to have a single entry in radgroupreply or radreply pertaining to a
kind of NAS.

I guess that this is not an out of the box feature in freeradius , instead i
need to use some kind of custom script in Post-Auth section which will check
the NAS Type and reply out the correct VSA's

I am looking for a unique identifier from NAS by which freeradius can
understand what type of NAS it is. I tried it and it seems that i have no
control on the Access-Request sent by NAS to freeradius.

The only idea which currently comes into my mind is to use nas.type value in
DB but incase the NAS Type is incorrectly specified reply attributes will go
nuts .

So any idea if there are any unique identifiers ?

Regards
Suman