Load FR on boot with Ubuntu?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Oct 24 17:25:31 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:22 PM, David Peterson
<davidp at wirelessconnections.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the help, that did the trick.  I found the rc.radiusd file and
> added to rc.local "/etc/sbin/rc.radiusd start"

Where the heck does /etc/sbin/rc.radiusd comes from? Which Ubuntu and
FR version are you using?

Current FR packages for Ubuntu uses /etc/init.d/freeradius, although
rc.radiusd is still available in /usr/share/doc/freeradius/examples.

> If that's not the correct method someone please let me know but it seems to
> work.

Since FR is still using legacy init script, the "Debian" (and thus,
Ubuntu) way of doing it is using update-rc.d (see "man update-rc.d").

However, being familiar with Redhat's chkconfig, I prefer to use
sysv-rc-conf (from universe repository), which has similar syntax to
chkconfig. With sysv-rc-conf, you'd do something like this:

$ sudo sysv-rc-conf --list freeradius
freeradius   0:off	1:off	2:off	3:off	4:off	5:off	6:off
$ sudo sysv-rc-conf freeradius on
$ sudo sysv-rc-conf --list freeradius
freeradius   0:off	1:off	2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off

--
Fajar