Installation docu

Andrej andrej.groups at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:51:19 CEST 2011

On 25 October 2011 06:24, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>> /usr/lib64/postgresql
>> /usr/include/postgresql
>
> Hmm.
>
> What does:
>
> pg_config --includedir --libdir

pg_config --includedir --l
/usr/include
/usr/lib64

>> Slackware64 13.1 - postgres 9.1.1 built and installed from source.
> "Source" source or "Slackware package" source?
>
> (I can't remember how Slackware does it's packaging - isn't it some crazy
> tarball mashup?)

Source proper as downloaded ( ./configure && make && make install ) ...
same way I installed postgres (on Slackware) for the last 7 or 8 years.

>> That's good for you but kind of besides the point.. :}  I *did* get it
>
> That depends on what you want to achieve... Personally I'd like ./configure
> to "just work", which I both why I asked your header locations, and cited
> the fact it DOES "just work" on some systems.
>
> I might take a look at calling "pg_config" in ./configure

Interesting point. :}

In the whole freeradius source tree the only file w/ pg_config in it
is ./debian/rules ... I still don't understand HOW it just works on
other systems ...

> Well, ./configure --help says:
>
>  --with-rlm-FOO-lib-dir=DIR       Directory to look for library files used
> by module FOO
>  --with-rlm-FOO-include-dir=DIR   Directory to look for include files used
> by module FOO
>
> ...which I assume is what you used in the end?
>

> Anyway - if you want to document, document away. The place to do it is the
> Wiki, since the eventual goal is to include the Wiki docs with the server
> source AIUI.
>
> http://wiki.freeradius.org/Build
>
> Perhaps a "Building against non-standard header/library paths" under the
> "Building from source" section?

I might just do that :}

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Cheers,