FreeRadius Losing packets in Multi-Threads mode

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 25 17:16:32 CEST 2011

Pierre Rondou wrote:
>>    It's possible that you're simply sending packets too fast.  If the
>> server doesn't read them from the socket quickly enough, the kernel will
>> simply discard them.
>
> Well, then, why is this only happening in the multi-thread mode? If it
> was a kernel issue, wouldn't it drop the packets in the same way for the
> single-thread version?

  No.  I mean that the threading code has overhead which doesn't exist
in the non-threaded mode.  Lock contention is a *major* source of lost
CPU time in threaded applications.

  If the server is too slow to process requests, the kernel will throw
away the UDP packets.  This happens when the server is slow... whether
it's threaded or not.

> Actually, it's a test server (HP Proliant 360 with 16 Gb ram and
> quad-core proc), so nothing is really running on it. MongoDB is
> installed (but nothing is using it), monit and ssh are installed as
> well, and that's it.
> The debian was installed with basically nothing.

  Well... that doesn't sound right.  Accounting works for me...