FreeRadius Losing packets in Multi-Threads mode

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Oct 26 12:36:55 CEST 2011

Alexandre Chapellon wrote:
> Did the very same test here, with very same results.
> I find this a little bit scary to imagine that some accounting packets
> are lost (meaning I have no "proof" the requests was answered and how.

  Ah... after thinking about it some more, there is no problem.

  The test is wrong.

  Accounting packets have *nothing* which makes them unique, other than
the packet contents.  If you're sending the same packet over and over,
it's a duplicate, and gets a duplicate response.

  In single threaded mode, the server receives a packet, sends a reply,
and *deletes* all knowledge about the packet.  When it receives the next
one, it gets processed as if it was a new packet.

  In multi-threaded mode, the server receives a packet, hands it to a
thread, which processes it and sends a reply.  Crucially, the packet
isn't deleted until later, because the server avoids thread locks.

  While the packet is cached, the main thread receives a "new" packet,
which looks *exactly* the same as a packet in the cache.  So... the main
thread re-sends the same reply.

  If you look at the statistics from the server, you'll see the
"duplicate request" counter being very high.  It SHOULD be zero for
accounting packets.