FreeRadius + MySQL | radacct: Errors and Warnings

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Oct 26 19:23:32 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:13 AM, Daniel Menezes <listas at dmnzs.com.br> wrote:
> Yes, there is a large number of rows in the radacct and radposauth tables.
> The attribute 'Acct-Interim-Interval' works very well but makes many
> records.

Interim update aren't suppose to add records, they simply update existing ones.
They DO make the db busier though, since the number of accounting
request increased (depending on your environment, the difference can
be over a magnitude).

> I rotate these tables to archive old records, I think I'll do this every
> month.
>
> Of course, the script wouldn't solve all my problems, but it was very
> useful.
> Maybe I really need some customization to the backend, I'll think about it.

Another thing to consider, IF:
- you're pretty sure that your setup is optimized-enough
- you already have someone with enough knowledge to look at the system
and determine that the bottleneck is in disk I/O (due to frequent
random db disk access)
- you have limited budget

then  you might want to try spending your budget to replace the disk
with SSD. Get sandforce-based SSD (or any other MLC SSD that have good
garbage collection and wear-leveling). Usually they can give you
instant performance boost (can be over 10x, depending on your current
situation) due to increased available IOPS.

--
Fajar