FreeRADIUS with NETGEAR WG103 WAP

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 14 17:56:21 CEST 2011

On 14/09/11 16:15, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Has anyone used $SUBJECT configuration?  I am considering the WG103 for
> my home network, and I would really like to use its RADIUS support to
> start using "real" user IDs, rather than shared keys.
>
> I'm an experienced Linux admin (Red Hat RHCA certified), and I've got a
> pretty good familiarity with SSL and VLANs, but I have absolutely no
> experience with [Free]RADIUS.
>
> * Has anyone set up FreeRADIUS with the WG103 (or any other NETGEAR
>    access point)?
>
> * How difficult is this likely to be?

What have you tried so far?

If the WAP supports radius, there should be space in the management UI
for the IP/hostname and port of the auth/accounting radius server, and
the "shared secret"; once you've done that, you might need to change the
wireless config to WPA-Enterprise (if that's what you want).

Once that's done, the WAP is configured. There's not usually much to do
on the WAP (or "NAS" as RADIUS clients are normally termed). Next you
just have to configure FreeRADIUS. See:

http://deployingradius.com/

...for starters.