Freeradius + Fedora-DS + EAP-MSCHAPv2 for WIFI/AP authentication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Sep 20 09:30:32 CEST 2011

uselessidbr wrote:
> People, i've read a lot about the WIFI/AP authentication over Freeradius
> using LDAP but it seems i cannot make it work unless i use clear-text
> password or Nt/Lmpassword which as far as i know implies in Samba + LDAP
> integration.

  http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html

  Note it doesn't mention Samba.  NT-Passwords are a password *format*.
They can be stored anywhere.

> My question is, is that really the only way to make freeradius authenticate
> users using a LDAP database?
>
> Do i need to have samba + ldap to authenticate WIFI users using freeradius +
> LDAP with EAP-MSCHAPv2?

  No.  You need cleartext passwords, or NT passwords.  Where they are
stored is a completely separate question.

> With my current configuration i was able to authenticate LDAP users with
> clear-text password but thats not i really want as a WIFI authentication
> solution. My goal is to use freeradius to authenticate WIFI users using a
> LDAP database and without the need of use a non-native Windows application.

  You can do that.  Only if you use the correct password format.

> Here goes my debug using a encrypted user password (which fails):

  It fails because you didn't tell the server what the correct password was.