Using unlang to customize Tunnel-Medium-Type for 3com switches

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Tue Sep 20 14:41:22 CEST 2011

On 20 Sep 2011, at 19:59, Stanisław Kamiński wrote:

> Hi,
> my problem: I use RADA on 2 lines of 3com switches:
> - those with ComWare 5 expect Radius to return Tunnel-Medium-Type = "IEEE-802"
> - those with ComWare 3 expect Tunnel-Medium-Type = "802"

Oh wow, that's exceptionally retarded. Can you complain to 3COM tech support?

Section 3.31 of RFC3580 lists the tunnel attributes as:

  Tunnel-Type=VLAN (13)
   Tunnel-Medium-Type=802
   Tunnel-Private-Group-ID=VLANID

The RFC author(s) obviously made a mistake, it should have been

  Tunnel-Type=VLAN (13)
   Tunnel-Medium-Type=802 (6)
   Tunnel-Private-Group-ID=VLANID

Absolutely no RFC lists 802 (integer) as a valid value for Tunnel-Medium-Type... It's an enumerated integer attribute *sigh*.

It seems that this has been discussed before however....

http://psg.com/lists/radiusext/2007/msg00854.html

... so no point in ranting about it again

> if ( "%{request:3Com-Product-ID}" == "4200G" ) {
> 	update reply {
> 		Tunnel-Medium-Type = "802"
> 	}
> }
>
> is that about right? (and yes, I should find that by myself, only explanation is that test system setup would take ~3-4 hrs and I can't do testing on production - whereas I count on you being able to tell right from wrong in about ~5 sec).

Though the if statement should probably be

if(3Com-Product-ID == '4200G'){

-Arran

Arran Cudbard-Bell
a.cudbardb at freeradius.org