MySQL performance

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Sep 20 16:19:42 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Lorenzo Milesi
<lorenzo.milesi at yetopen.it> wrote:
>> there should be something on FR log file. If not, then run the server
>> in debug mode and see which part is slow or spitting out errors.

There are several reasons why I suggest you run the server in debug
mode (as also suggested many times on this list, and also on the
wiki).

For one, it can show you which part is slow (is it really the db, or
is it something else). Another one is it can show relevant parts of
the config which can help others pinpoint the problem. Pasting only
PART of the debug log will only get you (at best) partial guesses.

> I ran in debug, and saw something which maybe could be wrong:
>
>        User-Name = "MYUSERNAME"
>        User-Password = "\002\234\350v[z\035Y\237\257\354\245\326\213\305."
>
> Usually I can see the passwords.
> Could be some encoding problem on the client side?

Maybe. The debug log will also say something like "warning, unreadable
password, check shared secret" (or something like that). Did you find
it? Did you simply ignore it, or do what it suggested?

> What looks strange to me is that some pw are fine, some are screwed this way.

Some things to check:
- did the different case (readable vs unreadable password) comes from
the same NAS? (If you don't know what NAS is, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_access_server)
- is the shared secret correct?
- does the login issue happens for ALL users or only for SOME servers?

Basically if it's specific user/NAS problem, then you need to focus on
those particular users. Again, debug log will usually help you find
out.

--
Fajar