WARNING about auth-type = Local

Johan Meiring jmeiring at pcservices.co.za
Wed Sep 21 18:11:15 CEST 2011

Hi,

I use a completely custom setup.
Not using the "default" server at all.

All is working fine, except for a warning.

In the authorise section, I have rlm_sql that selects the cleartext password from a database.
The query looks like this.

authorize_check_query = "SELECT AccountID, Login, 'Cleartext-Password', Password, ':=' \
                           from Account WHERE Login = '%{SQL-User-Name}'"
}

This is the rlm_sql query defined.

My authorise and authenticate section looks like this.

  authorize {
    authorisation_log
    chap
    mschap
    sql
  }

  authenticate {
    Auth-Type PAP {
            pap
    }
    Auth-Type CHAP {
            chap
    }
    Auth-Type MS-CHAP {
            mschap

When a PAP request comes in, just after the sql selects the password and somewhere before authenticate, I get a warning.
(Unsure if the warning will appear for CHAP/MSCHAP)

[sql]   expand: SELECT AccountID, Login, 'Cleartext-Password', Password, ':='                            from Account WHERE Login = '%{SQL-User-Name}' -> SELECT AccountID, Login, 'Cleartext-Password', Password, ':='                            from Account WHERE Login = 'test at domain.co.za'
[sql] User found in radcheck table
rlm_sql (sql): Released sql socket id: 1
+++[sql] returns ok
++- else else returns ok
WARNING: Please update your configuration, and remove 'Auth-Type = Local'
WARNING: Use the PAP or CHAP modules instead.
User-Password in the request is correct.
# Executing section post-auth from file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/custom
+- entering group post-auth {...}

Do I need to concern myself with the warning?

All is working fine, I was just enquisitive as to why this happens.

Thanks!

--

Johan Meiring
Cape PC Services CC

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments
you should read Cape PC Service's email disclaimer at:

http://www.pcservices.co.za/disclaimer.html