MSSCHAP auth + LDAP authorizaton (Working. Sort Of)

Andres Septer andres.septer at navirec.com
Wed Apr 4 12:49:52 CEST 2012

OK, I achieved my goal to get freeradius authenticate via mschap challenge-response and authorize via LDAP search.
I's working, though, I'm not sure, that I'm doing it right. This "solution" works only with one group (my example, VPNusers). I think it is not expandable to the scenario like:

"authorize user when it belongs to the group VPNusers
autohorize user when it comes form IP of some WiFi access point disregarding any groups"

So, I'm looking forward to any suggestions how to make this configuration better and expandable.
But this far, when you have only one group and no IF, AND, OR logic is neccessary, following will work:

MSCHAP

Follow this great tutorial

http://deployingradius.com/documents/configuration/active_directory.html

If last part gives you an error (like it did to me) check if freeradius user have rights to talk with winbind.

ldap module conf

ldap {
<------>server = "local.track.ee"
<------>identity = "CN=ldapbind,OU=SBSUsers,OU=Users,OU=Navirec,DC=local,DC=track,DC=ee"
<------>password = "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

#Note to Tobias Haschmer - ldapbind user needs to be specifically configured in AD!
# follow this instruction http://www.advproxy.net/ldapads.html

<------>basedn = "DC=local,DC=track,DC=ee"
<------>filter = "(&(SAMAccountName=%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{User-Name}})(memberOf=CN=VPNUsers,OU=SBSUsers,OU=Users,OU=Navirec,DC=local,DC=track,DC=ee))"
<------>#base_filter = "(objectclass=radiusprofile)"

Suggestions: test your queries and ldap stuff on some LDAP client. Like JExplorer (its free)

#magic parameters for AD LDAP to work
<------> chase_referrals = yes
<------> rebind = yes

inner-tunnel and default, authorize stanza
>ldap {
<------>    notfound = reject

It's not very flexible configuration, list user Matthew Newton had some ideas, how to make it better.

A.