Can't get accounting radacct to work?

Tim Tyler tyler at beloit.edu
Wed Apr 4 23:26:44 CEST 2012

  Freeradius experts,

I am running Freeradius 2.1.10 on two different Redhat 6.2 systems.  Both
of them work fine.  We are using ldap back end and we have no problem with
client connections on either server.  The problem I have is that one of my
servers (64 bit on vmware) won’t give me accounting records for client
connections in the radacct directory.  The log directory is
/var/log/radius/radacct.  Nothing gets written in it.  On my 32 bit system,
I see plenty of ip address directories getting written in the radacct
directory with every client connection and disconnection.   I just can’t
get it to work on my 64 bit system.  The /var/log/radius/radius.log file
works fine on both servers.   They both share very similar setups and
configurations.  I have compared both systems and I can’t seem to find a
meaningful difference.   Does anyone know where I might look to see why
accounting is not occurring in the radacct directory?  I should see ip
address directories with content but it remains completely empty in spite
of all the connections.

Also note that I have configured default and inner-tunnel for ldap support
which does appear to be working fine.  The client.conf files are identical
from both systems.  Thoughts?

Tim Tyler

Network Engineer

Beloit College