Single username/password for any platform?

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Sun Apr 8 03:37:22 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 6:23 AM, Blaster <Blaster at 556nato.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to give someone a single username & password that the person
> can use to login via WPA2-Enterprise from any type of device?  (Android,
> iOS, Mac, Windows, Linux, etc?)

Sure. As long as:
- the device supports WPA2-enterprise or 802.1x (which usually means
it needs to support at least one of PEAP-MSCHAPv2, PEAP-GTC, or
EAP-TTLS)
- you can store the password in a compatible format (e.g. as
plain-text or NT-hash on db, for simplicity)

> I would prefer to not have to distribute certs either, and it's OK if the
> user has to accept a self-signed cert on first connect for each device.

That would reduce the security level, but if you REALLY know what
you're doing, it should work.

> I've been googling this and can't seem to find any discussion that has a
> single cookbook cross-platform example, so I'm thinking it might not be?
>
> For example, my Android device just asks for an EAP password, and not a
> username/password like Windows does.

Android seems to do that :P

Try http://blog.doodlejiggy.com/2011/02/25/connecting-android-to-802-1x-wi-fi/

iOS devices shouldn't have that problem though.

--
Fajar