kill -HUP sometimes causes "rlm_pap: mschap xlat failed"

Jan Weiher jan at buksy.de
Fri Apr 13 16:41:23 CEST 2012

>> I'm wondering if the mschap module somehow gets its internal state
>> muddled on a HUP, and starts sending the wrong challenge response.
>> ntlm_auth from the command line works fine when FR has a problem.

Hi,

I had some sparetime and was able to have a deeper look at it. What I
did is basically running freeradius -X and then hup'd it until it got
borked. Seems to me like the mschap module gets somehow lost during the hup:

# Executing group from file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default
+- entering group PAP {...}
[pap] login attempt with password "thepassword"
[pap] Using NT encryption.
[pap] WARNING: Unknown module "mschap" in string expansion "%"
[pap] mschap xlat failed
[pap] Passwords don't match
++[pap] returns reject
Failed to authenticate the user.

But, the message "Unkown module" is strange, because after the HUP (when
reloading the modules) it says:

Module: Trying to reload module "mschap"
  mschap {
 Module: Reloaded module "mschap"

>   Maybe valgrind helps.  It doesn't say anything for me...

anything more I can provide? I might be able to dig around with
valgrind, but it needs a debug build, if I remember correctly?

all the best,
Jan