kill -HUP sometimes causes "rlm_pap: mschap xlat failed"

Matthew Newton mcn4 at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 18:48:09 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 05:23:22PM +0200, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Jan Weiher wrote:
> > I had some sparetime and was able to have a deeper look at it. What I
> > did is basically running freeradius -X and then hup'd it until it got
> > borked. Seems to me like the mschap module gets somehow lost during the hup:
>
>   That's enough to tell what's going on.
>
>   Try grabbing the "v2.1.x" branch from git.  It has a fix.

Just to confirm, I've been trying to cause 'death by HUP' with the
latest v2.1.x, and can't get it to. Backing out the last patch, I
can cause failure in about 8-10 HUPs.

I wondered where we used xlats for EAP/MSCHAPv2, but realise they
are in the ntlm_auth line for the Challenge/Response.

So, looking good so far - thanks Alan!

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton, Ph.D. <mcn4 at le.ac.uk>

Systems Architect (UNIX and Networks), Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

For IT help contact helpdesk extn. 2253, <ithelp at le.ac.uk>