Log-rotation FeeBSD 8.2

alan buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Apr 30 16:54:54 CEST 2012

Hi,

>   You need to HUP the server to get it to re-open the logs.  This is
> normal daemon behavior.

its a behaviour that changed with i think 2.1.10 - before then you could rotate
a log and the daemon would start writing to the new logfile.

we had to adjust our logrotate script to do a restart of the daemon upon log
rotate (as post-rotate function)....which means our server is restarted each day now..

unfortunately this means we lose all the state-less stuff - EAP sessions being the big one.

alan