rlm_sql Error

Antonio Modesto modesto at isimples.com.br
Mon Aug 13 16:40:51 CEST 2012

2012/8/13 alan buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk>

> Hi,
>
> >      Here in the ISP which I work we have a Freeradius 1.X in
> production, and
> >      a 2.X that we're testing to replace the old one. On both Radius we
> get
> >      the following error sometimes, What can be causing this? The SQL
> >      Database is in the same server of freeradius 1.X, but the load is
> low,
> >      we have about 2500 subscribers. I was thinking about increasing the
> >      number of sql connections, which is set to 4, would it make any
> >      difference?
> >
> >      Database server load:
> >      load averages:  1.10,  1.05,  1.03
> >
> >      Error: rlm_sql (sql): There are no DB handles to use! skipped 0,
> tried
> >      to connect 0
>
> load is > 1.0 which actually means the server is busy. its 'above normal'
> - certainly
> not 'low'.
>

> In the first instance , I would suggest that you increase number of
> connections to the
> SQL to at least 10.  secondly, add some indexes to the tables - find what
> your queries
> are and then use 'explain' to check that those queries are using nice
> index values
> and not having to trawl through all records for each query. finally update
> the database engine
> to InnoDB rather than the defauly MyISAM.
>
> that will improve things
>
> alan
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

My tables is using MyISAM engine, as this server is running freeradius 1.X,
it's quite old. The problem is that I've dumped my database to another
server to do some tests, and tried to alter the engine to see how long it
would take, after some hours running I've simply given up. I'm thinking
about making a backup of this table and truncating it. As it's not possible
for us to wait so long to alter the table engine (We don't have backup yet).

Thanks a lot.