New FreeRADIUS Deployment

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at schwartzkopff.org
Thu Aug 16 20:52:45 CEST 2012

> Dear friends,
>

> I searched list archive, but I couldn't find anything about this.  I need
> to correctly design and deploy a brand new FreeRADIUS server.  It will
> receive about 25.000 simultaneous users, so I'm planning to have, at
> least, two servers.
>

> My questions are:
>

> 1.       What would be recommended server hardware (memory, disk, CPU, ...)
> and software (Linux distribution, kernel version, ...)?

Should be possible with off-the-shelve hardware. Some middle-class server
should be enough.

> 2.       How could I synchronize both servers' users?  I mean, in the
> beginning, I'd have two separate /etc/shadow files but this is not
> scalable.  I need to share a single file between both servers.  Is it
> possible?  How?

more than 10.000? You should use a SQL backend storage. use replication scheme
of the SQL database. Or use DRBD to replicate disk partitions.

> 3.       Any recommendations to the backup policy?

Ordinary backup solution of the SQL database.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98