Originating CoA

amanda edades amanda.edades at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:14:36 CET 2012

Hello,

I am trying to use my RADIUS server to designate user group memberships
specifying QoS policies and monthly data caps.  When authenticating, the
server returns an AVP that tells what group a user is in, and the NAS will
apply the associated QoS policies to his traffic.  The RADIUS server checks
if a user is over his data cap on every Access-Request and Interim-Update
packet.  When the user exceeds the data cap defined for his group, the
RADIUS server originates a CoA and sends a new group assignment in which
his traffic is throttled.

Everything works fine now, but if the RADIUS server finds that a user is
over his cap, it first returns its default group assignment taken from the
radgroupreply table, then sends a CoA.

Output from RADIUS:
Sending Accounting-Response of id 122 to 127.0.0.1 port 33544
        Access-Group = "Group1"
  WARNING: Empty pre-proxy section.  Using default return values.
Sending CoA-Request of id 223 to 127.0.0.1 port 3799
        User-Name = "1907444"
        Access-Group = "ThrottledGroup"
Finished request 8.

So the NAS receives the default group assignment, then the throttled group
assignment immediately after.  To avoid confusion and transmitting
unnecessary data, in the case when a data cap is exceeded, how to I prevent
the RADIUS server from returning the default values from the radgroupreply
table, and only send the CoA?

Thank you,

Amanda