Design question

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Feb 2 08:16:57 CET 2012

Dan Letkeman wrote:
> From what I understand I need to create myself a certificate and
> install that certificate into the freeradius server and into each of
> my client computers.

  Yes.

>  Then I need to configure my switches to connect
> use the freeradius server to allow the traffic through when the client
> computer wants to authenticate to the network.

  No... you need to configure the switches to use 802.1X authentication.
 They will then automatically allow traffic for authenticated devices.

> My questions are as follows:
>
> Which EAP type should I use if I only want the computers to
> authenticate using certificates?  EAP-TLS?

  That will work.

> I am guessing I should be using WPA2/Enterprise on the clients for the
> 802.1x authentication on the Windows 7 clients?  And set it to use
> computer authentication only?

  That will work.

> Do I need a signed third party certificate or can I use a self signed one?

  You can use a self-signed certificate.  See the Wiki for an EAP-TLS
"howto".

> Could a user not just export the certificate from the computer and
> import it into there own computer, configure there network settings
> and get on the network?  Or is there a mechanism to keep people from
> doing this?  Perhaps a password encrypted in the certificate?

  There is nothing to prevent the user from exporting the certificate.

> Is there anything else I am missing?

  No.