Using FreeRadius to override VLAN Assignment

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 19:33:56 CET 2012

Hi,

>    I have put the following into my users files
>
>    DEFAULT  Auth-Type = "ntlm_auth"
>                    Tunnel-Type = "VLAN",
>                    Tunnel-Medium-Type = "IEEE-802",
>                    Tunnel-Private-Group-id = "1001"

okay - thats a CHECK item - if the Auth-Type = ntlm_auth, followed
by a load of reply items.....  which look like standard VLAN override
values (eg that Cisco use)

>    I have told my access point to Allow RADIUS Override on the VLAN
>    Assignment however the VLAN is not getting overridden.  Does the Above
>    entry into my users file not actually send back a vlan assignment and if
>    not is there somewhere else this is supposed to be done?

this will work if the 'type' is what you think it is....run the server in debug
mode and see what it says....in the output you will see if your 'users' file
entry is doing anything...

we use PERL code to do this work rather than users file - as it can be called
where and when we want it called, with lots of wrappers/code around to deal with
correct type of user etc

alan