Framed-IP-Address Problem

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jan 11 09:19:10 CET 2012

Tawanda Kavayi wrote:
> I am using Freeradius 2.1.12 with mysql and Daloradius GUI. My setup is
> a Wimax network with AAA for the ASN gateway being handled by
> Freeradius. My problem is that I have configured FR to assign framed ip
> addresses  to authenticated clients, but instead the IP's are being
> assigned from the IP pool on the ASN gateway, ignoring the configured
> framed IP's.

  Then go fix the ASN gateway.

  Suppose I gave you driving directions to my office, and you ended up
somewhere else.  If the instructions are correct, is the problem the
instructions, or following them?

> After authentication, mysql returns the correct framed-ip-address
> 192.168.15.230 as seen below:

  No.  You did NOT show the Access-Accept with the Framed-IP-Address in
it.  Don't bother posting it here, go look for it yourself.  If it's
there, then again blame the ASN gateway.

> However, a different IP address, 192.168.15.229,  is seen when the
> Accounting-Request packet is sent by the NAS:
>
> rad_recv: Accounting-Request packet from host 192.168.12.214 port 24048,
> id=90, length=256
..
>  Vendor-Specific = 0x00001fe4340600000000

  You need to use dictionary.starent.vsa1, not dictionary.starent.

  I love vendors who use conflicting dictionaries.  It makes life *so*
much easier for everyone.

> What should I be looking at to resolve this?

  Read the starent documentation to see what you need to send in an
Access-Accept.  Make sure it's sent.  If it still doesn't work, call
Starent and ask them why their product is broken.