EAP-session did no finish! (Linux)

Sergio NNX sfhacker at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:51:21 CET 2012

Are we still having problems with this 'never ending' issue? Sending you Alberto another email ....

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:18:57 +0100
Subject: Re: EAP-session did no finish! (Linux)
From: alberto_martinez at deusto.es
To: freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org

  The problem is ALWAYS the same.  The Wiki page describes the problems,

and the solutions.

That particular error is known to pop out when a Windows client uses a misconfigured certificate, or the MTU is too high. This case is neither one nor the other.

 Try setting up the second server as a brand new server with brand new

certificates.  Follow the *documented* process of setting up a new

server with EAP-TLS / PEAP.  It *will* work.
I have no heavy modifications of the original configuration, just the minimum required for eap-peap-mschapv2 to work. Which has been copied from a working server.

It's probably the cert.

I suspected that, but I'm making no progress with it, and I've ended with the process pretty much automated. I will continue doing tests, but i felt i was missing something else.

If it's NOT the cert, then you need to investigate the AP/switch or the
client; FreeRADIUS is not receiving the next packet, so either the
client or the AP/switch has dropped / ignored it.

Maybe, but the only change made was the address where to point at. However, i should check that too.

One thing to check is MTU; you've trimmed the debug so it's hard to know, but usually the next EAP packet would be large(-ish).

Framed-MTU = 1100 << from debug

fragment_size = 1024 << eap.conf (default setting)

Also check the client - look in the logs, or use tcpdump to check the
client actually receives the EAP packet, and sends a reply. Likewise the
 AP/switch.

Also check any firewalls inbetween.

Yes, it shows a conversation, so no dropped packets inbetween.

--
Alberto Martínez Setién
Servicio InformáticoUniversidad de DeustoAvda. de las Universidades, 24

-