Juniper MX auth issue

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Tue Jan 24 18:56:54 CET 2012

Hi there..

We have an existing FreeRadius setup that works perfectly for our Cisco BRAS
devices etc.

I am trying to get some Juniper MX working properly.  If I add a user to our
system it works fine (dynamic IP assignment etc).

The minute we add a static IP address, things go weird with the MX platform.
The user authenticates and obtains the correct IP address but no traffic
will pass.  JTAC says this is an attributes related issue and we are back
and forth.

I was hoping someone on the list here could correct by users entry below
based on their experiences?  I'm running a fairly bare set of attributes
hoping to figure out why this keeps breaking on the Juniper side:

pstewart        Auth-Type = System

        Service-Type = Framed,

        Framed-Protocol = PPP,

        Framed-IP-Address = xxx.xxx.111.73

Our typical users entry that works fine in the Cisco world looks like this:

pso     Auth-Type = System

        Service-Type = Framed-User,

        Framed-IP-Address = xx.xxx.58.115,

        Framed-MTU = 1500,

        Idle-Timeout = 11116000

So far I have messed around with many variables and not getting it to work
properly.. At the same time JTAC has been quite helpful but we're still not
operational yet.

Thanks,

Paul