request tracking

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jan 24 22:53:56 CET 2012

Travis Dimmig wrote:
> How does freeRadius track requests?

  See RFC 5080, Section 2.2.2.  I wrote the FreeRADIUS code first, then
the RFC.

>  I get errors along the lines of
>
> “Error: Discarding duplicate request from client [IP REDACTED]:49603 -
> ID: 204 due to unfinished request 298385”
>
> Far more often than I believe I should.  What does it mean for a request
> to be unfinished, and how does freeRadius determine that a request is a
> duplicate?

  It means that if you're building a NAC solution, you should really
understand the underlying protocols.

  The usual reason is that you're putting the requests into a DB, and
the DB is slow (not indexed, contention, etc.)  This has been discussed
many times on this list.